Sunday, September 21, 2008

Obedience

Today started out super loud! It was a full house with at least 24 kids! When I walked in, the nursery was jam packed with parents and crying toddlers! Some were crying because they were watching mom or dad leave the room, others were crying because of the few that were screaming hysterically, and of coarse there were the 'fly-by drop off kids'! You know who you are!! Those of you that has their spouse open the nursery room door while you firmly, but lovingly toss your little one into the room. Your child then pushes his/her nose and lips to the crack of the door as they plead and cry for you. Their cries echo down the hallway as you run as fast and far away as you can! Well, to all of you, the cries were only loud at the beginning! Their tears dried rather quickly today and before we knew it, they had found toys and friends to preoccupy them! For the few that really have a hard time like little Jacob and Payson (fly-by drop off --aka-- FBDO), I think it's has helped a lot that Tina now is fully staffed with a good group of us that are trying to be consistent for the kids. Each week is getting better and crying time is less, I think.
Bro. George taught the lesson today. I didn't get to listen in, as I was on Snack duty, but he told me it was on Obedience / Obey your parents. The coloring pages and handouts looked like lots of fun and the kids seemed to love coloring them!
I didn't really start noticing funnies until snack time. Probably b/c before that time I pretty much had three kids in my lap the whole time. Jacob..who is getting braver every week and didn't scream too long today, one other little girl who's name I can't remember (old age), and then of coarse, Rissa would squish her little bum in my lap every once in a while! She's doing pretty good with 'sharing' me with other kids! ...I'll say no more about that b/c I don't want to jinks myself ! Here are a few funnies that I witnessed:
***Sam---Usually Sam, along with most of the other older boys, tends to have bottomless pits and want to eat and eat and eat! Today I noticed Sam had finished his first helping (appetizer) and so I started heading over to him and asked him if he wanted more marshmellows and little cookies. Much to my surprise he replies, "No, I don't need no more marshmellows today. 'Cuz ya know why? My mama made me eat a very huge waffle thing (that was this big) for dinner already!" ...Well OK...he then got up, threw his plate and cup in the trash and went and laid down on the floor while he rubbed his tummy!

***Eliza & Avril--During snack time one of them (not sure who & doesn't matter) spilled their cup of water on the table. I look over and see them looking at the table a little and then wiping their dresses so I walk to their side of the table and realize that I need to get some paper towels. I grab some and get back to them to hear them talking about their beautiful dresses. The conversation went a little something like this:
E: "....because my dress is a beautiful dress that should be dry."
A:"Well, my dress doesn't want to be wet either. I have a beautiful dress."
I then tell them both how pretty they looked today and that yes, both of them have beautiful dresses on, then one of them responds, "'cuz we are just both beautiful little girls!" I'm honestly not sure which one made that last comment because I refilling some other plates up by now, but it was so cute to listen to them!

***Drake and Payson--Payson had asked me twice before this to tie his shoe for him. At one point Payson's shoe lace had come untied again and I heard him saying, "Help! Someone tie my shoe." I looked across the room and before I could even take a step, Drake went running to his rescue!! By the time I got to Payson, Drake was on the floor with him wrapping the shoelaces altogether in a unorganized "knot"! He was grinning from ear to ear with pride, until Payson says, "I don't think that's right. Let her do it." After tieing his shoe, Payson proceeds to tell me all about his Batman Socks! He says, "they're under there! they are!"..referring to them being under his shoes...that we just tied :) Once word got out on the street that Payson had BATMAN SOCKS on kids came running from all over to see them!! Actually it was just a couple of kids. Will got really excited about them and declared that "we gotta see the other one! We gotta see the other one!". So with that being said, I decided it best to just go ahead and get it out of their systems. I took both shoes off and then Payson was able to walk all around the room to let everyone see his Batman socks! Most of the boys in the room were pretty excited about it so if they're bugging any of you about socks, this would probably be why! Jacey said that she got them at the dollar store for bowling one day. I'm sure other characters are available as well!

Rissa loved playing with the kitchen set! She's getting so big so fast! It's been fun to watch her play in nursery. She wasn't too nervous in there today..there were no WWF moves put on her, no headlocks and all of the kids were pretty nice to each other. She and Kara played together several times, it was cute. She's always asleep in the car by the time we get out of the church parking lot!!

5 comments:

jeni said...

This is great, Tiff!!!!

Slammer said...

You are awesome for doing this. Thanks.
Today I actually had to push another mom out of the way during my fbdo! She wouldn't move away from the door quick enough while I was trying to slam it shut before Payson got there. The nerve!

Slammer said...

OOps, I am still signed in Under Camerons user name- this is Jacy

Cory and Cheri said...

Too funny! I love it!

Jenny Roberts said...

You are great for doing this. You are so observant. Thank you for being willing to serve in nursery. I served for a couple of years and I feel like I was so blessed...I can honestly say they were some of the best years of my life. Those sweet innocent spirits can teach you so much, especially with direction from loving teachers like you. THANK YOU.