Sunday, September 7, 2008

~~What We Learned Today~~


I've been serving in Nursery for a month now. I also still teach in RS once a month. I wasn't too surprised to get called to be in there b/c I'm in the hallway with Rissa most of the day at church anyway. And honestly, I guess it's my turn b/c I've made it through two kids already and never been called to Nursery, so it's all good-it's my turn to do the time:)
I think the first two weeks I was a 'little bit' overwhelmed with all 100 kids under the age of three!! No, ok, little bit of an exaggeration on the 100, there are anywhere from like, 18-25 kids...so anyway, at first it was a little overwhelming!
I've decided that I want to post a little about Nursery each Sunday Night b/c honestly, I am falling in love with those kids! So many little expressions of love, so many little 'funnies' that they do and say, and of coarse, all the things that they tell us about their families (nothing too nitty-gritty yet, folks)!!
Last Sunday I was the 'snack' lady. Caden, Carson and Sam were so excited and eager to bless our snack, so needless to say, we had three short, sincere prayers! Rissa is coming early to Nursery b/c of me being in there. She and Parker are the youngest and they are both doing pretty well. It was fun last week to see them sitting there with all the big kids eating their snacks, sitting in big kid chairs!!...they usually go home with water all over them (big kid cups) but that's ok.
Today I taught the lesson. We learned about Temples. We talked about our families and how Temples make it possible for us to be with them for Eternity. We sang 'I love to See the Temple" and "Families Can Be Together Forever". I made paper finger puppets for each of them, although some didn't make it home, and learned a little song to go along with it. (Starting with the thumb) This is Father, this is mother, this is brother tall, this is sister, this is baby, oh--I love them all(and they hug them)! This was fun for the kids, I think.
Other things we learned today:
**Payson Loves to sing!! He was very intent on learning the finger puppet 'song' and worked really hard to learn the movements to I Love to See the Temple song! His tantrum when dad left him at beginning of Nursery only lasted, like maybe one full minute! It's getting shorter each week!
**Kara loves bubbles!! Well, everyone loves when Bro Evans blows bubbles at the end, but Kara was extra excited today and it was so fun to watch her! I love to hear her 'talk'...and she was 'talking' up a storm as she ran around to pop the bubbles!
**Jacob is getting braver every week! Today he still cried some, but did a lot better! Each week is getting a little bit easier for him.
**Sam was glad to have his 'friend' with him! His cousin was here this weekend for Tommy's baptism and she came to Nursery with him. They were both wanting to help a lot during our lesson and were sure to sit as close as they could to each other all the time!
**Drake was fun during our lesson, too. He wanted to make sure that his dog (I wasn't sure the dog's name) would be with their family for eternity as well. He preferred his Dad finger puppet over his Mom finger puppet...don't worry Natalie, he'll get over it when he stops and thinks about who cooks his dinner:)

With so many kids I, obviously, can't talk about every child each Sunday, so I will pinpoint things that I notice, etc each week, and before too long, hopefully I've have included each child. I was so touched by the Spirit today during our lesson. These sweet children have such a pure, sweet spirit about them and I am truly grateful for the opportunity to be a part of their 'Nursery' life! I felt Spiritual growth and am thankful for that. I look forward to working with them and am getting more and more excited about this calling each week.

One last thing, please, remember, that this serves as an additional journal for me, so if I talk about Rissa each week, that's why (I'm not choosing favorites!!) Here's my email majoyn@juno.com Thanks tiff

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope your right about the tantrums getting shorter. I feel so bad for you guys when I leave him screaming.
I love your nursery blog. What a great idea.